Laguna Hills is built on one of the major land grants developed during the Rancho Era. Following Mexico's independence from Spain in 1821, those who had served in the government or who had friends in authority, were given vast lands for cattle grazing. Rancho Lomas de Santiago, Rancho San Joaquin, and Rancho Niguel covered much of the western portion of the Saddleback Valley. In 1842, Don Juan Avila was granted the 13,000 Rancho Niguel on which Laguna Hills is located.
In 1874, Lewis Moulton travelled from Boston to California and worked the land learning the trade of sheep hearding. He began the Moulton Ranch by leasing Rancho Niguel. After purchasing it in 1895, he increased the original grant to 22,000 acres. Moulton and his partner, Jean Pierre Daguerre, used the ranch for dry farming and to raise sheep and cattle. The Moulton Ranch was eventually subdivided in the early 1960's, part of which is recognized as Laguna Hills.
Official a City
Incorporation efforts began in 1987 and on March 5, 1991, the goal of incorporation was finally achieved with 86% of the residents voting in favor of forming the City of Laguna Hills. On December 20, 1991, Laguna Hills officially became a City.